submit your news
SGMP Announces Election Results for National Board, Gilmer Institute of Learning
The Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP) announced its newly elected National Board of Directors for 2019-2021 and Gilmer Institute of Learning Trustees. The newly elected officers will be installed at the upcoming 37th Annual National Education Conference (NEC) to be held June 25-27 in Detroit, Michigan. Current SGMP President Michelle Milligan, MSW, LMSW, CGMP, was re-elected president. Milligan serves as the Director of the Clinic for Child Study, a part of the Third Judicial Circuit of Michigan in Detroit, Michigan.
“During the past four years on the SGMP National Board, I have led the Society through a major transition period and toward more solid footing for the future,” said SGMP President Michelle Milligan, MSW, LMSW, CGMP. “Our challenge for the future is to continue our work cultivating the next generation of leaders for the Society and delivering on our promise, as a member-focused organization, to provide government meetings-specific education, resources and networking for which we are known.”
Chris McLaughlin, CGMP, was re-elected as Treasurer, and Tecumseh Deloney, CGMP, CMP, was re-elected as Secretary. Current directors Annette Wallace, CGMP, CMP, was elected to First Vice President and Marie Arighi, CHSP, CMP, was elected to Second Vice President. Three individuals, Dina Fong, CGMP, Mark Richardson, CGMP, and Carolyn Wence, CGMP, were elected to the national board for the first time.
The full slate of SGMP National Board of Directors for 2019-2021 include the following:
SGMP’s educational arm, the Gilmer Institute of Learning (GIL), announced three newly elected members of its six-member board were elected for a three-year term. SGMP President Michelle Milligan serves as the group’s Advisory Chair. The GIL leads the Certified Government Meeting Professional (CGMP) certification, education and programming, scholarships and fundraising for the Society. The newly elected trustees include the following:
- President: Michelle Milligan, MSW, LMSW, CGMP (Detroit, Michigan);
- First Vice President: Annette Wallace, CGMP, CMP (Jefferson City, Missouri);
- Second Vice President: Marie Arighi, CHSP, CMP (Huntsville, Alabama);
- Treasurer: Chris McLaughlin, CGMP (Omaha, Nebraska);
- Secretary: Tecumseh Deloney, CGMP, CMP (Washington, DC);
- Director: Dina Fong, CGMP (Sacramento, California);
- Director: Mark Richardson, CGMP (Colorado Springs, Colorado);
- Director: Carolyn Wence, CGMP, CMP (Portland, Oregon);
- Immediate Past President: Rob Coffman, CGMP (Washington, DC); and
- Executive Director/Ex-officio: Pamela Valenzuela, CAE (Alexandria, Virginia).
Continuing as GIL trustees are the following who round out the six-member board:
- Chele Clark, CGMP (Denver, Colorado);
- Jeanne Larson, CGMP (Minneapolis, Minnesota); and
- Wayne Callis, CGMP (Norfolk, Virginia).
“As an ex-officio member of the SGMP National Board, I look forward to the leadership and partnership this new board and GIL trustees will provide our organization as the government meetings field continues to evolve,” said SGMP Executive Director Pamela Valenzuela, CAE. “The partial government shutdown that occurred earlier this year was but a reminder of how valuable it is to have a professional home for government meeting professionals who train, plan, learn and collaborate together to put on ethical, high-impact economical government meetings and events that drive our nation’s economy forward.”
- Bobbi Barkley, CGMP, CMP (Seattle, Washington);
- Anita Yearwood, CGMP, CMP (Richmond, Virginia); and
- Cheryl Wierenga, CGMP (Portland, Oregon).
The new board of directors and Gilmer Institute of Learning trustees will be installed during the Sam Gilmer Awards Banquet on Wednesday June 26, 2019, during SGMP’s National Education Conference. Each director’s two-year term of office begins on July 1, 2019. Those who plan or provide services for local, state or federal government meetings are invited to attend the conference. Visit SGMPNEC.org to learn more.
The Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP) was founded in 1981 and is the only national organization in the United States dedicated exclusively to individuals who plan and execute government meetings. We deliver our membership value of education, resources and networking to 2,000 members in 21 chapters across the country. Our mission is to enhance and promote the expertise of government meeting professionals. For more information, please visit www.sgmp.org.
FIND IT - MARKETPLACE