submit your news
Venues & Destinations
Civilian Response to Active Shooter Event (CRASE) Training to be Offered at Greater Columbus Convention Center on June 3-4
Media representatives are invited to attend and provide coverage of the next Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events (CRASE) training session at the SMG-managed Greater Columbus Convention Center June 3-4 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., with the optimal time for coverage being after 9:30 a.m. on June 4 in GCCC meeting rooms C-170-172.
“We’re excited to invite the media to join us at our next CRASE training session to see how we work with the community to help ensure the GCCC is providing best-in-class emergency preparedness for our staff, partners and neighbors,” said GCCC Assistant General Manager Ryan Thorpe. “From hosting presidential visits to more than 200,000 attendees for the Arnold Sports Festival, we are accustomed to working closely with law enforcement and first responders to provide a safe, secure and enjoyable atmosphere for all of our events.”
CRASE training is conducted free of charge to the participants by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office. Patrol and SWAT deputies teach the class, which covers what to do when confronted with an active shooter event, Avoid/Deny/Defend strategies, guidance and proven plans for surviving, history and prevalence of active shooter events, role of professional guardians, civilian response options, medical issues and drills. Courses are typically conducted at the GCCC twice a year for GCCC employees, partners and neighboring businesses, with the first day focusing on classroom training and the second day featuring live drills.
“The training is realistic, especially on the second day,” said GCCC Public Safety Manager Mike Nelson. “There will be simulated gun shots, screaming, yelling and running.”
Additionally, the GCCC’s ongoing safety protocols include the following:
The Greater Columbus Convention Center is located in downtown Columbus and owned by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority and managed by SMG.
- Regular collaboration between the GCCC staff, clients and Columbus Police Department to plan safe events by reviewing upcoming event schedules, security needs and informing neighboring businesses and stakeholders.
- The in-house event security team helps ensure higher levels of service and training, with guests rating facility safety as 9.5 on a 10-point scale.
- The facility’s Security & Emergency Management Program covers all types of potential emergencies that may occur and is reviewed and updated on a regular basis. Summaries of the plan are provided to all event planners.
- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Franklin County Department of Homeland Security and a private security consulting firm have all conducted security and threat assessments to ensure GCCC security programs meet and exceed industry standards.
- The GCCC established a bicycle patrol with officers monitoring the exterior of the facility campus and five parking facilities.
- Security cameras, equipment and communication devices have been added and upgraded.
- Emergency drills are conducted throughout the year. Staff training has included tabletop exercises with first responders, CPR, fire-extinguisher operation and CRASE programs.
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to 243 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theaters, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers and a variety of other venues. With facilities across the globe, SMG manages more than 19 million square feet of exhibition space and more than 1.5 million sports and entertainment seats. As the recognized global industry leader, SMG provides venue management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services for such landmark facilities as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Houston’s NRG Park and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans. SMG also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions and catering companies, currently serving more than 140 accounts worldwide.
Visit www.columbusconventions.com and www.smgworld.com for more information.
More information about Greater Columbus Convention Center...
FIND IT - MARKETPLACE