☑ YES, I would like a FREE subscription to access EXHIBITOR magazine articles online.
A Whole New World
Business is booming in the global trade show industry, with new venues and major remodels
collectively creating millions of square feet of brand new space. Check your global facility savvy
and see if you can match these new or renewed convention centers with their descriptions in this month's quiz. By Cynthya Porter
A. Royal International Convention Centre, Brisbane, Australia
B. Suntec Singapore Convention and Exhibition Center, Singapore
C. Los Cabos Convention Center, Los Cabos, Mexico
D. Qingdao Aoshan Bay Exhibition Center, Qingdao, China
E. Basel Convention Center, Basel, Switzerland
F. Quorum Quito Convention Center, Quito, Ecuador
G. Exhibition Center Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
H. Matrade Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
click on the answer spaces for the answer
1. This 1.9-million-square-foot exhibition center, which was completed in 2011, is shaped like a giant horseshoe. It features 10 exhibit halls, environmentally conscious solar stacks on the roof, and a golf course.
2. A 22-month renovation project completed in February 2013 transformed this undersized and outdated venue into an architectural showpiece.
3. This new exhibition center boasts a state-of-the-art ceiling rigging system fitted with power and network ports that can be lowered by remote control.
4. When it is finished in 2014, this $185 million facility will dwarf neighboring exhibition venues with its nearly 1 million square feet of space. The project is just one component of a long-range plan to develop hotels, shopping malls, and parking around the venue to make this city an exhibiting powerhouse in the international market.
5. With 87,000 square feet of exhibition space that can be divided into three halls and 15 meeting rooms, this new facility is the largest in its country. It boasts state-of-the-art technology like simultaneous audio and video translation and independent room-temperature controls, and is in the heart of a newly developed entertainment district.
6. Thanks to a $147 million renovation project completed in 2013, this venue now has open-air express elevators, a two-story video wall, and free high-speed Wi-Fi.
7. Designed with the environment in mind, this facility includes a storm tank that collects rain water, LED lighting, and more than 1,000 rooftop solar panels.
8. Five halls were razed at this venue to make way for the construction of a new multipurpose hall spanning 161,000 square feet. The facility also added a state-of-the-art conference area in 2012.